Apr 25, 2022
Mario Lalli has been a pioneering voice in the California Desert
Rock scene, from throwing generator parties to founding bands like
Yawning Man, Fatso Jetson & Across The River and inspiring
hundreds of others. Today Mario shares stories and perspective of
the high times in the low desert.
- Interview start
- Is Mario a record collector?
- His early years, family tastes and music
- Mario working on album art and projects
- His parents going from Opera Singers to restaurant owners
- Mario and his 1st band moving to LA & lessons learned
- The genesis of the Desert Generator Parties
- What were early lessons that were learnt the hard way
- Dealing is a-holes at the generator parties
- The music at the Generator Parties
- The ugliest generator party (police, injuries, arrests,
- When did the desert music scene start attracting record labels
and entertainment companies?
- “Do well but don’t do too well”
- The challenges of succeeding but not meeting other people’s
- Example: The way Nirvana reacted to success
- Enabling the music scene through facilitating parties
- Does Mario have control of all his music?
- What are they reissuing from the CD-only releases for Fatso
- Does he know where all the multitrack and master tapes
- What happened with Across the River and SST Records?
- Interview wrap up
Extended interview available here: www.Patreon.com/VinylGuide
Listen on Apple: https://apple.co/2Y6ORU0
Listen on Spotify: https://spoti.fi/36qhlc8
Follow our Podcast: https://linktr.ee/vinylguide
Support our show: www.Patreon.com/VinylGuide
If you like records, just starting a collection or are an
uber-nerd with a house-full of vinyl, this is the podcast for you.
Nate Goyer is The Vinyl Guide and discusses all things music and