May 22, 2023
For decades collectors of comic
books, coins & sportscards have protected their collectibles by
having them professionally graded & slabbed. The team behind
Vintage Media Grading (VMG) shares how their process
can be a gamechanger for vinyl record collectors.
- Vinyl grading is tricky – why use VMG?
- VMG Grading comes from Goldmine standard
- Using best practices from Baseball Cards &
Comic Book gradings
- Walking through the grading process
- Supplying info, provenance, etc
- What would get rejecting for rating?
- How other industries get graded (paintings,
- Is there an appeals process for a grade?
- The difficulty in getting a “10” grading
- Grading is consistent no matter the
- 12” records now, 7” and 10” under
- Can they do double or triple LPs?
- What about inserts, special LP additions,
- Ability to change album details if new
- Vinyl has much more complexity than other
- VMG Focuses only on facts, cannot state
- How VMG labels promotional copies
- Their sources for determining authentic
pressings and info
- Not relying on crowd-sourced materials
- Does VMG do play-testing?
- Hot-stampers may not be right for VMG
- The impact of the plastic case on records and
- Can the plastic case be opened?
- Autographed records, backstage passes,
- Will they work with acetates and test
- Working with international customers
- Best practices for shipping to VMG
- How are the records handled through the
- Length of time the grading process takes
- Not just collectible records but personally
- Interview wrap up
Learn more at VMGVinyl.com
Extended, High-resolution & Commercial Free version of this
interview available at: www.Patreon.com/VinylGuide
Listen on Apple: https://apple.co/2Y6ORU0
Listen on Spotify: https://spoti.fi/36qhlc8
Follow our Podcast: https://linktr.ee/vinylguide
Support our show: www.Patreon.com/VinylGuide
If you like records, just starting a collection or are an
uber-nerd with a house-full of vinyl, this is the podcast for you.
Nate Goyer is The Vinyl Guide and discusses all things music and