Feb 21, 2022
Matt Pike, Grammy winning guitarist, musician, songwriter of
Sleep and High on Fire, joins us to talk vinyl records, the rise of
Sleep, involvement with Third Man Records, his new LP "Pike vs The Automaton" and more.
- Pike vs the Automaton
- Matt’s record collection
- How important were records in your youth?
- Recording direct to the master at Third Man
- Have you ever met Tony Iommi?
- Matt’s musical heroes
- Living in the Bay Area during the thrash metal scene
- Sleep’s transition to long songs
- Playing slow and heavy in the thrash scene
- The tension and energy of frequencies, the brown note
- The initial rejection of Dopesmoker
- Matt takes a bong hit
- Does Matt sometimes smoke too much?
- The growing popularity of Dopesmoker
- Deciding to get Sleep back together
- Do the Sleep tapes exist?
- Sleep’s live album from 2012
- Getting involved with Third Man Records
- Recording of and label negotiations for “The Sciences”
- Sleep’s Third Man Vault project
- Will there be more Sleep?
- The vinyl readiness of “Pike vs the Automaton”
- The writing of “Pike vs the Automaton”
- Touring and 2022 plans
- Matt’s influence on modern Metal
- Weird stuff in Matt’s house
- Wrap up
Grab "Pike vs The Automaton" merch &
Extended interview here: www.Patreon.com/VinylGuide
Listen on Apple: https://apple.co/2Y6ORU0
Listen on Spotify: https://spoti.fi/36qhlc8
Follow our Podcast: https://linktr.ee/vinylguide
Support our show: www.Patreon.com/VinylGuide
If you like records, just starting a collection or are an
uber-nerd with a house-full of vinyl, this is the podcast for you.
Nate Goyer is The Vinyl Guide and discusses all things music and